Friday, December 31, 2010

The Science

Just remembered...I have not answered the "science" question, that several have asked about.

It is not until the actual surgery that the pathologist can assess the tissue samples. So, on the right breast that was removed, there were non-cancerous lumps. One lymph node was removed and it was O.K. On the left, where the original cancer was "seen", the cancer in the primary lump was 90% dead, so the chemo did what it did. 9 out of 16 lymph nodes taken from my arm pit were cancerous. So chemo was not working there. The upshot is that my cancer has been up-graded to stage 3.

I am being told that I really need radiation. If less than three nodes were cancerous then radiation might or might not be helpful, with more than half infected, radiation is strongly advised.

So next month, I start driving to LaCrosse 5 days a week for six weeks. Early on, I was saying, "anything except radiation", now I am saying "some folks drive to LAX everyday for work...I can't complain."

I can't complain...I have the best support group a person could ask for...Love you all!

P.S. One of the nurses was telling me about an older woman that had a double mastectomy and the nurse was showing her the exercises she should do every day. The woman says "Oh thats no problem, I have been splitting wood already." OUCH...

No comments:

Post a Comment