energy and no pain, and the need to communicate with you all!
Stephen and I arrived at the hospital at 5:30 AM yesterday, surgery was at 7:30. I was a nervous wreck, and had been for a few days, maybe even for weeks. I was so full of anticipation, that I had become very introspective...barely able to answer an e-mail...or the phone. Today those feelings are gone. I feel like I can make plans, move forward, and learn to appreciate my new body.
I was told that double mastectomy is considered to be a day surgery, but about 50% end up staying in the hospital for a night, or two. By 4 PM it was obvious that I was ready to go home,
little to no pain and up walking to the bathroom. We were home by 6. Every few hours Hannah or Stephen would come and check on me, with Hannah keeping track of the pain med. schedule. I had some of the best soup and bread I have ever eaten, thanks to a dear friend, who also brought a lovely bottle of wine. I asked Hannah if she thought it was O.K. to have some; she came back at me with long list of famous people who had overdosed with alcohol and pain meds...then she said ONE glass would be fine...best glass of wine I've ever had!
I came out of the O.R. with a cute pink tank-top type wrap on my chest that closes with velcro in the front. Pinned to the bottom of it are four plastic bulbs, like turkey baster bulbs, that are connected to the drainage system running under the skin all though my chest. Several times a day I will empty the bulbs and measure the content. When the daily drainage gets below a certain point, they will be removed. Today or tommorrow (at the latest) I will take a shower, and change the dressing, and put my pink wrap back on.
No doubt in the next weeks I will have moments of pain and discomfort and frustration. What I won't have is the fear of surgery or chemo. For me, this is a great trade-off and the morning after!
I love you all, and know that your prayers, thought and actions are the best of blessings!
I am glad things are going good! Here's wishing you a speedy recovery!
ReplyDeleteLove you