My chemo has a fourteen day cycle, one I am just getting to know.
Last Friday Hannah and I made of day of it, and went to LAX for chemo. The infusion itself takes about 2 hrs...and is quiet pleasant. The nurse brings me a warm blanket and a tray of goodies to choose from. A volunteer offers to get me lunch, and beverages. I eat and drink and then curl up for a little nap. I am a little drowsy for an hour or so, then I feel good. Until Sunday evening or Monday morning I can eat anything, my energy level is good.
On Monday I am exhausted, and barely have the energy to eat, let alone think. I sleep a lot. Monday stretched into Tuesday, becomes Wednesday. By Wednesday evening I can think, write and eat a little something. I can't really carry on a conversation.
Thursday and Friday my energy level increases. By Friday evening I can eat, and want to eat. As long as the food is not spicy or acidic or strong, which irritates my mouth, tongue and throat. The painful mouth hangs around for a few more days...along with a general malaise and irritability.
By the Tuesday before my next chemo treatment I feel like I have really overcome something, like that feeling you get when you have been sick for days and now you feel better. It is nice to feel better, it is hard to forget what lies around the corner as chemo day approaches.
It's a cycle I can bear, and one I won't miss.
humpfff
ReplyDeleteI never had a volunteer get me lunch! All I got was some crackers and ginger ale.
The cycle you are in will become a routine and you will connect it to many other cycles in your life, as you already know. Mine was also seasonal, as in by the time the leaves fall off the trees and by the time it snows, etc. Then of course the year after treatment it will be, "last year as I was putting the Christmas tree up..."
Cycles and understanding them in your life puts the chemo and cancer into perspective. There were so many times I looked to the cycle and found HOPE, the birth of a new day coming and it would bring me such joy and peace. It truly helped to get through the rough times :)
Love you. You are never far from my thoughts and always in my prayers.
Patty
glad today is friday and your appetite is improving and you will be able to eat... enjoy the calories!
ReplyDeleteyour sister p